Wednesday, February 10, 2010

History does repeat itself

Years ago, when I first started working in Chester, and we got more aggressive about getting scoops and posting scoops on the web and taking a little journalistic pride in those scoops.
We got busy. By the time I was named editor, I had created my in-home "breaking news list."
And I got a request from someone to join that list. It was our competition. I liked that. What a hoot.
I might still have the e-mail somewhere. It's the little things like that in life that make you smile, most days. So it was probably a keeper. But we made a little house ad out of it, that we ran occasionally.
Said something like, "When your competition wants to be on your breaking news list, you know you're Chester County's No. 1 news source." Something like that. And it instructed readers on how to join the list.
They aren't really covering Chester County anymore. Not like they used to. Not like they ever really got much of anything first. My first editor at the paper before I took over actually did a little comparison sheet on when we got stories and when they got stories. That's back when they had a Chester County reporter assigned and about four others who would jump on certain stories out of their beats. So they had seven print opportunities to beat us to our two to beat them, and they had us out-resourced by about eight to four, if you counted their photographers.
But they couldn't come close.
Anyway, they are a shell of what they used to be. So I don't take the amount of glee in it I used to. But, as the title says, history does repeat itself.
I rarely use my twitter account. But what I do use it for is to post breaking news. It feeds from Twitter into Facebook, (which I call, "The Face"). So I can kill two birds with one stone and get the word out.

No comments: