Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Some good news

 I have had many people doing prayers to St. Joseph on my behalf, to aid me in my job search.

So I am happy to say that on day of the Catholic feast of St. Joseph the Worker, I have had the first conversation with my new employers. I have accepted a similar position to the one I left, and it's actually a return of sorts.

I will be doing sports page design for Lee Enterprises. It's a remote position.

It is a return because Lee Enterprises took over management of BH Media after I left, and then bought BH Media a short time after that.

So I will be dealing with the same BH Media footprint, plus additional Lee Enterprises properties.

When I left, there were a bunch of us who were telling BH Media they ought to offer remote work, but corporate thought it was inconceivable.

I don't know if it was my leaving in 2019 or some pandemic thing in 2020, but the Lee management company embraced the remote possibilities since, and most of their designers are remote.

It's not 100 percent official. I have to pass a drug test.

But I should start May 16.

Thanks to everyone who prayed or had good thoughts. It was most appreciated.

I was looking at a column I wrote for The Gamecock way back in 1989.

I wrote, in part, "I want to be a journalist –— for the rest of my life, I want to be a journalist. I want to write about sports and about government. I want to sit in the slot on the night desk and pound away at the wire copy coming in for tomorrow's bulldog edition."

That guy is still getting what he wants.

But things he could not foresee have changed the business. I am pretty positive this is my last newspaper job. So I am going to make the best of it.

I wish, however, I could go back and tell that kid in 1989 what's coming.

Thanks and love to all.

No comments: