Tuesday, September 27, 2011

VIDEO: Irreverant, but not heretical (I hope) at the Eucharistic Congress

So the Catholic Diocese of Charlotte held a Eucharistic Congress. Tens of thousands attended. A procession started right outside The Charlotte Observer.
It chose not to cover the event. At all. You'd think they'd at least be wondering what 10,000 people were doing outside their front door on a Saturday morning, since, if you miss the crosses an incense, a procession looks remarkably like a march.
I sent this email to Rick Thames, the editor:
Would the definition of local news include news that happens about 10 feet from your door?
Why did no one from The Observer cover the Eucharistic Congress on Friday or Saturday?
There were 10,000 people in the streets outside your office on a procession (you could call it a march if you like). 10,000 plus. Probably more.
One of the main speakers at the event was a main Third World Catholic Cardinal, said to have been in the running for pope the last go-around? How is THAT not newsworthy?
I'm an award-winning journalist myself and I cannot justify or explain your lack of even just a perfunctory photo.
Some Catholics believe the "mainstream media" have an anti-Catholic and/or anti-Christian bias. I can't defend journalism in the face of such a stunning failure on your part. I can't fathom it. It's either laziness, or it is indeed a bias.
Please explain.
We'll post any answer he makes.
Anyway. That's the serious commentary
• I made a few wisecracks while there.
My wife's receptionist Denyse said that she saw a certain priest in the procession. I said I had heard a lot about him, but I'd never met him so I wouldn't recognize him.
She said, "He's in black."
"A priest in black is really going to stand out here," I said.
• My lovely bride also set me up pretty good. I walked around the vendor booths, and with the exception of a lady selling a cook book, they seemed to all have Christian/Catholic themes. Some were info booths. Some were merchants.
When I got back from making a loop to the right, my wife asked, "Did you see any crosses?"
I had said I would buy her a certain cross that she likes if I saw it. But she didn't say, "Did you see the cross?"
She said, "Did you see any crosses?"
I said, "You can't spit in this place without hitting a cross."
That's probably borderline heresy, come to think of it. But God gave me my sense of humor.
• When the procession came through, you were supposed to kneel. I leaned on a table that I wrongly thought had rubber-tipped legs to get back up, and it slid about 3 inches, causing me to slip a little, and I twisted my ankle.
Some weekends, the bowing and rising at mass is the only exercise I get. But the danger inherent in kneeling at a Eucharistic Congress in the Charlotte Convention Center has me wondering about conversion to a less bow-y version of the faith.
I would accept the supremacy of the See of Rome and all that. Just a Catholicism that is not potentially going to put me in crutches. If it's out there, let me know.
• The procession made its way through the convention center throughout the day. I didn't think, however, that escalators were in the rubrics.
Edit: Here's the video I promised. It's raw. I'll see if I can get it into an editor and smooth it out some. later.:

The note I posted with the video says this: The procession of the Eucharist through the the Eucharistic Congress in Charlotte NC, Sept. 24, 2011. I consider it a "liturgical irony" that the procession carried the host on the escalator.
Watch any movie with a scene of the Crucifixion, and they almost always have a stair well or two that Jesus must travel to get to Golgotha. He didn't get to ride an escalator.

No comments: