Sunday, September 2, 2012

DNC: Yup, I'm going

I am on vacation, starting at just about 11 p.m. Saturday.
But it's going to be a working vacation.
My wife asked me a few months back if I would like to cover the Democratic National Convention as a freelancer for her paper, the Catholic News Herald, which covers the diocese of Charlotte, which is the western half of North Carolina.
Thinking she was pulling my leg, I said, "Sure."
She put in for credentials for me and for all her people. She got one. (It can apparently be shared, but she got ONE.)
And she's giving it to me.
This is what is referred to as a niche publication, so I'm not going to be doing straight up, gavel-to-gavel political coverage. I might get a little of that in there.
No. I'll be covering the mayor of San Antonio, a Catholic Latino. It's the first time a Latino has given the keynote speech at the DNC. DNC keynoters have gone on to become presidents. Guys by the name of William Jefferson Clinton and Barack H. Obama are the two most recent. Might be a glimpse at the future.
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, my "native" diocese, where I was born and my "bread" was buttered as a "ute," will give the closing benediction, as he did this past week at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. There are meetings in between.
It will be different than anything I've ever covered before. Certainly the biggest meeting I've ever gone to. That Barnwell County Council five-hour barn-burner will pale. This is three days of official time, five days plus of coverage.
And I'll be walking all over downtown Charlotte. I'm pitifully out of shape.
But I plan on making it through. Just don't know what shape I will be in when I'm done.
Anyway, pray for me, if that is what you do. Think good thoughts if not.
It will be fun, regardless. But I realized, talking to my brother tonight, about carrying my laptop, iPad, an Android phone for twitpics, a digital camera and a portable wireless hub, that I will be the "One-Man Mobile News Crew" that was such a famous bit on Saturday Night Live, as portrayed by Al Franken.
And I might also bump into SEN. FRANKEN!
Now, how cool is that?
Practicing my question already so I can get paid for the encounter. "Sen. Franken, I know you are Jewish. Have you ever considered Roman Catholicism? It's an up-and-comer."
Lastly, I thank my lovely bride for making this possible. I thought it was a goof, but two days out, it's very real.
Love you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wowzer, Stephen. I know you will have great coverage. I hope your first pic is of you in all your mobile gear. Tho' I'm glad you won't have a satellite hat...those things can be heavy. Enjoy your "vacation"!

Paula Wethington said...

Very cool! Political details aside, it's rare for those of us who made our careers in local news to get official credentials for any national event. You'll be talking about who you met and what you saw for years.

SGuilfoyle said...

Paula, Paula, Paula. They'll be talking about meeting me.